Move over, beach waves! Another big hairstyle is coming for spring 2022 and it has everything to do with an ultra-smooth, shiny finish. And it’s aptly called ‘liquid hair.’
No, it’s not the first time we’ve been seeing ultra-shiny hair. In 2018, it was all about “glass hair,” which was super slick, super straight and had that sharp, sheetlike straightness. But this time around, high-wattage hair is a little softer and with plenty of fluid movement that catches the light beautifully. Nice change for summer 2022!
Keep reading to find out how to create and maintain the dazzling hair trend taking centre stage on your social feed.
But first, there are two ways to achieve the liquid hair look.
Keratin Smoothing Service
The first is in the salon with a keratin treatment, a highly effective chemical process to straighten hair, smooth out texture and minimize volume, while eliminating frizz, locking-in colour and helping reduce blow-drying time.
A keratin treatment is long-lasting. Typically, hair will be straightened and easier to manage from three up to six months, depending on each person’s unique hair volume, thickness and level of curl. To get the liquid hair look, you will still need to blow-dry and use a flat iron, but the result will be healthier, shinier hair with much less effort. Prior to deciding on what route to take, just be sure you have a conversation with your stylist who will be able to give you their best recommendation.
The Perfect Blow Out
If you’re looking for a less permanent alternative, or just want to test-drive the silky hair trend, a great blow dry is where it all starts! For this hairstyle the secret is in the finish, which you will want as shiny as possible. Here are the steps you need to take to create the liquid hair trend at home:
- After washing your hair, and before blow-drying it, apply a hydrating anti-frizz primer to help straighten hair and lock out humidity. You can also add your favourite hair oil.
- Use a round brush to smooth hair as much as possible and help eliminate flyaways. Use the cool air switch on your hair dryer when you’re done drying to ‘set’ the hair in place.
- Touch up with the flat iron, using a paddle brush to separate sections. Avoid multiple passes, which can damage hair, particularly on the ends.
- Finish by lightly spritzing a glossing spray all over, that will help eliminate frizz and add an extra coat of shine.
- There you go, shine like a star on the red carpet!